Herbs Production & Processing Co. Ltd.
(at a glance)
Background & Concept
- Collection of wild herbs to export or sell after processing only.
- Cultivation of medicinal and aromatic plants to sell in national and intentional markets after processing only.
- To popularize the cultivation of medicinal and aromatic plants among the private farmers.
- To make available the raw material in processed form to the different pharmaceutical, Ayurvedic and aromatic industries.
- To preserve the natural resources applying advanced technology in collecting the herbs.
- To create the employment opportunity in the country, and
- To facilitate to uplift economic standard of low level income group of people by providing income opportunity.
- To formulate the herbal care products and sell
- To process and distill the medicinal herbs and aromatic plants collected in wild form and cultivated in private sectors and well as own farm
- to sell and export them in domestic and international markets.
- to utilize the natural resources.
- to provide the opportunity to the landless farmers for cultivation of medicinal and aromatic plants leasing the companys land.
- to encourage the private farmers to cultivate medicinal and aromatic plants providing the advanced technology and guarantee for the immediate cash income.
- to procure the crude herbs only from the genuine collectors, avoiding the unscrupulous middlemens margin, and
- to support the national economy by exporting the oleoresins, extracts and essential oils.
- to sell the herbal care products.
The company has its own land of 350 hectares is located at 14km. from Nijgadh in Terai has been carrying out the cultivation and processing of medicinal and aromatic plants in 200 hectares. Out of 200 hectares 100 hectares of land have been distributed to the landless local farmers to generate their income by cultivating the essential oils bearing plants and the plants grown by them are to be purchased by the company for further distillation in order to produce oils. The rest 150 hectares of land have been in condition of jungle with shrubs and stumps. Hence, this area has not been in condition to cultivate the plants.
To make this land cultivable, the company is not in position to finance in clearing the jungle as well as to materialize the land even if it is cleared. Therefore, the company is looking for an international donor institute with a view to utilize the land in the following manner so that the royal ordinance proclaimed to enhance the Nepalese standard to of living providing basic needs to the people below poverty line can make fruitful on the one hand and the company can gear up its productions and sales on the other.
- to assist the landless local farmers in generating their economy by distributing the land to cultivate the medicinal and aromatic plants.
- to establish the seed propagation unit of different medicinal and aromatic plants, and
- to widen the products of Nepal in large scale to support the economy of the country.
Under the aim of this company, the cultivation extension programme also plays an important role to gear up the financial situation of the people of Nepal and to support the national policy for the agriculture. This company has been carrying out its programme of cultivation of medicinal and aromatic plants since its inception in the country. At the outset to this programme, this company had started the cultivation only in 26 repaints of land of different farmers in Kathmandu area, but at present, it has been extended up to 2000 repaints of private land in different area of Nepal by different farmers. By this concrete example, it can be assumed that the local farmers of Nepal are interested to cultivate the herbs even in their own farms.